If the mere thought of going to the dentist sends you into a panic, oral conscious sedation dentistry may be right for you. Oral conscious sedation dentistry allows patients with dental anxiety to feel relaxed, calm, and comfortable during treatment. Oral conscious sedation dentistry may even be combined with general dentistry treatments to ensure a healthy, happy smile. Dr. Bruno Lemay is happy to provide patients a comfortable, relaxing dental experience with oral conscious sedation dentistry. Patients in Rancho Mirage, CA, Palm Springs, CA, and Palm Desert, CA are welcome to schedule a consultation with Dr. Lemay for more information.
What Is Oral Conscious Sedation Dentistry?
Oral conscious sedation dentistry refers to a type of sedation dentistry administered orally, in pill form. With oral conscious sedation dentistry, the sedative is generally given about an hour before treatment to give the sedative time to take effect. The level of sedation can vary from mild to moderate, depending on the dose given. The level chosen will depend on the needs of the patient, including the degree of dental anxiety or level of discomfort expected from a particular dental procedure. Oral conscious sedation allows patients to feel relaxed without becoming completely unconscious; some may feel as though they are in a dreamlike state. When moderately sedated, many patients have little memory of the dental procedure after the sedative wears off.
Candidates for Oral Conscious Sedation Dentistry
Oral conscious sedation dentistry is suitable for just about any patient who is in good general health and would like to feel more relaxed and comfortable during dental treatment. Patients with dental anxiety are generally prime candidates for oral conscious sedation dentistry, and patients who require multiple or extensive dental treatments may also benefit. If you relate to one or more of the following, oral conscious sedation dentistry may be right for you:
- Fear of going to the dentist: For those who fear going to the dentist, a common symptom of dental anxiety, oral conscious sedation can help make seeing the dentist a relaxing experience.
- Dentists make you feel stressed or nervous: Those with dental anxiety often feel stressed or nervous before or during a dental visit. Oral conscious sedation can help these patients feel relaxed and at ease during treatment.
- Feel panicked or uneasy at thought of going to the dentist: Patients who feel panicked or uneasy at the thought of going to the dentist may have a hard time undergoing necessary dental work. Oral conscious sedation can help reduce feelings of panic or anxiety by relaxing patients, allowing them to seek the treatment they need.
- Unable to comfortably sit for extended periods of time: Oral conscious sedation dentistry can also help those who suffer from any issue that makes sitting for extended periods of time uncomfortable, feel relaxed and comfortable during dental treatment.
- Undergoing extensive dental treatment: Oral conscious sedation dentistry is also beneficial for patients requiring extensive dental work, providing pain-free treatment.
Is Oral Conscious Sedation Dentistry Right for You?
Oral conscious sedation dentistry can help a wide range of patients feel relaxed and comfortable while undergoing dental treatment. To find out if oral conscious sedation is right for your needs, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Lemay.